Monday, November 17, 2014

11/17/2014 DB's Dailies: RK36,Kolohe&Duke@RI, Kea@SB, Right Spot@ KBP&SB, U'ilani@RR, Haupu@Makaha, Benny@PC, UU@Kaimana

My first order of busy was a 0605 , Kaupo Beach Park check. Right Spot (R016) was still there. I redid the SPZ. On my return at 0746 Right Spot was gone. Having observed her behavior here in the SE quadrant over the years since we met in 2003, I had very little doubt that this was not the end of Right Spot for today.

 Kea was gone on my 0620 check. Barbara V., hung out there until I got back at 0820. I parked my butt on a park beach and waited. At 0829 Kea (RN46) arrived at the usual outfall spot, and hauled out. I redid the SPZ. He has remained the rest of the day. Gayle & I did rechecks through the day. Gayle advised that Kea was still there at dark.

 At 0944 I arrived at the pier to find RK36, and Kolohe (RW22) at the left end of the beach. Kolohe was once again tucked into the base of the cliff, while RK36 was down on the beach.

At 0949 what would prove to be Duke (RA12) hauled out to join the other boys.

At 1521 lifeguard posse member , Aka, called to advise that an animal was just hauling out at the Full Point (east) end of Sandy Beach, separate from Kea’s SPZ. I’d been waiting for the other Right Spot shoe to drop all day, and sure enough when I arrived at 1526, there was Right Spot (R016), a few hundred feet west of Kea. I confirmed the ID by her right spot and by her uniquely notched RHF. I cordoned her off. She remains. It remains to be seen how long it will take Buster to find her . Right Spot remained at dark.

 Team Billand checked in at 0846 to advise that Eileen had called them with the report of U’ilani (RN36) at the Reef Runway.

 At 0853 the Billands advised that Debbie had reported Haupu (RB24) at Makaha. She was gone when the Billands arrived.

 A 1303 Team Billand reported Benny (RE74) at Paradise Cove.

 A Dana text at 1538 advised that Colleen was checking a Diamond Head call (Cromwell’s). A 1604 text said the animal was no longer there. I think I might know why. I got a call from Ocean Safety at 1711 advising of a new arrival to Kaimana Beach. It was too dark for an ID when the volunteer arrived.

 In Yesterday’s News, Ken Tingman sent shots of a molting RIP (RR70) and younger brother Ka’ena (RO40) at Ka’ena Point.

Duke and Kolohe
 Duke, Rk36, Kolohe - hey dudes what's happening
Kea hauling out at Sandys
 sweet sweet Kea
 Right spot just down the way from Kea 
Team Billand dealing with Benny at Paradise cove
 and a Honu decided to join in.... I do hope these people got out of it's way
 Ka'ena from yesterdays news.... 
 Rip molting out at Ka'ena Point 

1 comment:

Melanie said...

DB: I like the photo from BH showing the 10 zillion signs you have out for Kea and Right Spot.