Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1 2013 - Happy New Year

Aloha good people! Wishing you all
Happy New Year!

January 1, 2008 I met a seal on Kailua Beach nicknamed Chester. I will forever be grateful to him for educating me in the plight of the Hawaiian monk seals. 2008 wasn't "that" long ago and things have changed.... for one, we don't set up protection zones like this anymore....  we have an organized group of volunteers and posse through out the island.... we share news about the seals between islands.... and we have an increase in seals in the main Hawaiian Islands....


It's unfortunate the overall population still is in decline and the sad reality we may lose this species all together if things don't change. I have spent time in the last 5 years doing what I can to help, sometimes I have experienced the glory of a triumph and far too many times the pain of the loss. 
Thank you to each and every person who contributes no matter how big or small because every little bit counts. I have to also thank the folks at NOAA/NMFS many many good people working hard to make a difference and allowing me to participate in many of the efforts here on Oahu.

This blog was created in February of 2008 because of two old dudes.... one being Chester and the other being a special man who has a heart of gold and is as stubborn as a bull.... Chester taught me many lessons in January of 2008, but DB aka "seal whisperer" who taught me the most important lesson of all.... "just when you think you know what a seal will do, you realize you know nothing" oh and of course only Irma knows (OIK).
Thank you Chester & DB

No comments: