Tuesday, June 10, 2008

DB Post Tuesday June 10th

Kerby,R301 & U/U @ RI, Irma@SB, Rocky@DH, RSF@Pipeline & R302@ EB,6-10-08
The day began with a call from Mary Jane reporting R302 (aka Tiny Tim/Yoda) on the beach at Ewa Beach. Though the Marys got signs up, the ungrateful little dude departed while MJ and I were on the phone.

Kerby and R301 were on the beach at the left end of Rabbit Island when I arrived for the first look. When I got back Kerby was in the water. I didn't glimpse him again until 1313. Shortly thereafter he hauled out to the rock flats at the left end of the island. On pan I found an adult sized animal in a tide pool at the right end of the island but I was never able to ID the animal.

In the space of 30 seconds I got 4 calls about an animal hauling out at Sandy Beach. (Apparently the posse is workin' well) When I arrived at 0836 I found Irma. I got her cordoned off, and she was still there at my 1600 check. I'll return at dusk to see what her plan is going to be.

Tracy called at 1025 with the two reports. Right Spot was at Pipeline , on the North Shore, and Rocky was at the bunker at Diamond Head. Colleen confirmed the Rocky ID.

A friend just returned from a San Francisco trip, and sent the attached. It could be worse. Aloha, DB


WARNING: These are not monk seals! do not get nervous, this is not a management nightmare. Just DB's sense of humor!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived in SF when these guys started taking over the docks. It was a nightmare then. They've got it under control now though. The boaters that used to use those docks were not happy to be displaced, though.

Laura said...

That's Pier 39. I used to take my son there all the time. They're very loud and extremely...um...odoriferous!! But fun to watch, and the Marine Mammal Center has a kiosk there with all kinds of great information and gifties for the kids.
They've done a great job of turning a nightmare into a good low-tech informational tourist attraction.