Wednesday, October 25, 2017

10/25/2017 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley covers from Camp Erdman to Turtle Bay

This morning I went down to CE point to ID an overnighted seal. It was RW02 “PVKauai”.

While I was taking pics of him, both of us got caught by an enormous set that rolled up the beach out of nowhere. He, that had been facing the water in a very deep sleep, got tossed up the beach and ended up face up with his blood red eyes opened wide. I, distracted taking a photo standing behind the Naupaka got water halfway up my legs. We recovered our breaths, PV galumphed further up and went back to sleep.
On my way back, this evening he was still there.

After doing a couple of errands I headed out to my old stomp grounds: Turtle Bay to see them seals.
There I met Marilyn with DB’s family and Diane on her shift. Marilyn and the others left for lunch & I stuck around with Diga for the afternoon. We were prepared for the rainstorm, but it seemed to keep going around us from all sides. We definitely felt the chill in the air.

Back to the seals…out at Kahuku Point under the iron trees were: RT10 “Ua Malie”, RK36 “Kauai Kolohe” and little RJ16 “Kahuluokalae” Ua’s pup (from now on I’m calling him “Hulu”). The adults are looking good in their new coats and were sleeping. Little “Hulu” after a short nap started playing around with whatever was in front of him, on his sides and back. I got my weaner fix, hadn’t seen one playing for a while.
Before we left “Ua” moved a little as if to be a barrier between the rolling in sets and “Hulu”. He moved closer to her but not too much, seemed that one raised look from mom kept him back. So, he turned and started playing with a branch beside him.
It was a good opportunity to update photos of ID marks on the seals.
  • “KKolohe” is full of dings and dangs, got good shots of his notched RRF, scarline behind LFF and more, all these help ID him when tags 
    aren’t visible (like today)
  • “Ua’s” scar on top of LRR, the line scar on the top right side of her neck and others. Her T10 tag has lost its white paint but the T11 is perfect.
  • “Hulu” has a NB under his LFF. At first, I thought he had a wound then I realized that it’s a thin NB line. On the right side of his neck he has lighter patch of fur, with time it may no longer be visible. His blings are brand-new.

All along the coast from Ka’ena to TBR, I saw the waves were rolling in high on the beaches, big volumes of water washing the sand. Winter swells are here !
Lesley - You had quite a day - lots of good seal sightings and wonderful people company, the only thing missing was me haaaaa only kidding.

 Nice find Natural Bleach Mark - It does look like a wound but you called it!
 RK36 Kauai Kolohe  
 Baby boy Hulu RJ16 and Momma RT10 UA Malie
 RT10 Ua Maile
RW02 PV Kauai

No comments: