Saturday, October 14, 2017

10/14/2017 Monk Seal Dailies: Part 2 Lesley's Ka'ena Point Trek

First stop was Birth Beach, where I only found wallows of an overnighted molting seal. I met Marilyn & 2 coworkers from UH at the lookout and we headed off to hike Ka'ena Point.
At 10 Minutes Beach we found R330 "Squinty" - according to campers there was a seal in front of their tent yesterday late afternoon into the night. "Squinty" was a couple feet away from those trails but had some of his own.
At the point I spotted  a seal head bopping up and down at the entrance of the Main Pool. Shortly after it swam in it was RO40 "Ka'ena" he hanged around for 40 minutes doing the hippo thing then left.
As soon as I got home Kana'i told he saw a seal down Mommy. I went to check and found RR70 "Rip". His molt is progressing, he was hauled out on his bellie and looked like a mermaid. A line straight across his body half molted half not. His molt is +50%

Squinty
 Ka'ena
RIP
 half molted

No comments: