Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DB Post Wednesday 2/11/2009

The day began at 0600, checking Irma's and finding that Irma had departed. I picked up the signs and continued on.

This was to be on of those rare empty Rabbit Island days. Despite 3 separate sessions, I found nobody out there.

The lack of RI animals was somewhat explained by activity at Spitting Cave today. At 0820 I found two animals foraging and playing together. I got a certain ID on R301, but the small, red tagged , female with him was impossible to ID. It was either RB08 or Sadie, but there is no way to choose. I was hoping that I'd get back to the pier and see one or the other of the girls there, or than I might see R301 and his associate haul out together. Neither of those things happened.

At 0846 both animals swam around the point in and easterly direction. I advised Hanauma Bay personnel to be on the lookout, and I responded there to check both the bay, and Toilet Bowl, but I found nothing. I returned to MP , hoping that there would be an answer to the situation.

While sitting at the pier , looking at an empty island, I got a call from Alan Hong at 1216 reporting a single animal at Spitting Cave. When I arrived at 1240 I found that it was Buster, doing 10 minute dives. Then it was back to the pier.

Tracy called with reports of animals at both Diamond Head (posse member Rachel was on her way), and Kalaeloa Beach (Wind Sock). The Browns were responding to that one. Colleen confirmed Rocky at Diamond Head, at 1930. I have no word on the Kalaeloa animal at this writing

I departed the pier just before 1500, and rechecked Irma's for the umpteenth time on my way home, finding nobody. At 1611 Tracy called with the report of an animal at Irma's ! When I arrived at 1615 I found Irma on the beach, directly down from the Kealahou traffic light. I got her cordoned off, and will recheck her at dusk.

Irma was still there when I departed Irma's at 1930. I picked up the rope and left the signs. Aloha, DB

Irma

IrmaRocky

No comments: