Sunday, October 19, 2008

DB Post Saturday October 18th

R301&Mojo@RI, Irma@Irma's, Buster@SC, KC@Waialua,Benny,Ka'ena&KERBY@KP, 10-18-08
There are Good days, and then there are GOOOOOOOD DAYS !!!!!!!! I think you will all agree that it has definitely been the latter. First of all it was Seal Count Day. Though I have heard from only a few fellow counters, it has still been wonderful.

My day began by finding Irma at Irma's. She was waiting for me at 0607, and left of her own volition at 1030. I did not see her again today.

At 0748 I found R301 and Mojo at the left end of RI. They remained there all day.

At 0812 I found Buster doing 7 minute dives at Spitting Cave.

Somewhere along the line I got word that Joanna had found KC in the Waialua area.

Moose called late in the day to say thats a Zone 17 counter had found a large male at Kalaeloa, which in all probability would be Kermit, though I have no supporting evidence.

I'd be totally stoked to have that be the end of the day, but it gets better folks.

The real highlight of the day began with a call from Barbara Billand , from Ka'ena Point at 0839, reporting Benny, a 90% molted Ka'ena, and a small , red tagged animal just hauling out. At 0855 came an EXCITED call from Barbara with the two MOST WONDERFUL words I've heard in a very long time. "IT'S KERBY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" . It just CAN'T get any better than that .

I'll never be able to prove a thing, but I gotta' mean feeling Benny has got something to do with this. I last saw Kerby, at Rabbit Island on 8-27-08. Benny had been at RI on 8-26-08, and then returned to KP. Benny came back to RI on 10-15/16-08, and then again returned to KP. Whether he took Kerby with him on the initial visit, or picked him up along the way after his return from the second RI visit, somehow or another a little 5 month old weaner managed to get from Rabbit Island to Ka'ena Point, and there just ain't no way that can happen without help, in my humble opinion. Regardless of all that, the bottom line is that Kerby is alive and well, and in all honesty I'd rather have him out there at the end of the world, than at Rabbit Island, given recent events. Aloha, DB
Irma
Buster KERBY BABY ! ! !
Kerby, Benny, & Ka'ena


No comments: