Saturday, September 5, 2020

Yesterday's News Lesley's Ka'ena Update from 9/3/2020

 I was down bright and early, checking the beach and found R330 Squinty, who must have hauled out just after the high tide.

Further down the beach I a pleasant surprise to find RN58 Luana in what used to be her tide pool.
As I was cleaning a fire pit on Birth Beach Tables I heard a snort, looked back and didn't see a seal. I was sure I had heard it so I walked around and saw her in a bee line from where I had been working. She was camouflaged in the rocks.
I headed out to the point after I finished. From above Ka'ena's Pool I saw a seal down on the Runway with the great new camera I was able to ID the seal as RO40 Ka'ena. Then I took photos from the other lookout and with the zoom got his tag, in 2 shots.
At Back Beach RL74 Kami was sleeping near the waterline and waves were splashing her. I was leaving when I saw a seal trying to come into the Main Pool, a zoom in with the camera and IDed Ka'ena. He vocalized, turned around and left. I walked back to the top of the hill above Back Beach and watched him come in the bay and haul out. He kept sniffing the air but didn't seem to notice Kami a couple of feet away from him.
On my way back I stopped at Hidden Beach and had the best surprise and a wish come true. 2 small seals were hauling out. The first a kermit and the second a smaller one nice and clean. They were RL20 Kalua and PO4 Kai. I sat in the Polaris and waited for them to settle down.
I documented Kalua and his fishing lines (from mouth and the new Damashi on his RRF near his L21 tag.
Then when I was zooming on Kai I saw a line on the right side of his mouth. After XX photos I confirmed that it wasn't fishing line but a leftover of sea cucumber glue or fish. The kid made my heart skip a couple of beats then made it race like a train.
I watched to 2 cousins for some time. RL20 Kalua is RN58 Luana's (b.2013) 2019 pup and PO4 Kai is her eldest sister RL42 Leia (b.2012) from this year.
Tomorrow there will be more I'm sure - Be safe 😷🌺




No comments: