Tuesday, September 1, 2020

09/01/2020 Tuesday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

 The first sighting of the day was one I wished for over the weekend. RL20 Kalua made it home to his birthplace to start his molt. He still has a thick line coming out of his mouth and NO hook was visible. I had a report over the weekend (the day after I saw him) that he had a small hook on his rear flippers. I sat patiently waiting for him to move in several different positions. I documented the small hook near his L21 tag. He has also started his 1st shedding/molt around his belly must be around 2%. Hotline and NOAA were informed. As he went into a deep sleep after moving further up the beach, I left.

At 10 Mins Beach little Kermit green RL98 Lina spent the day hauled out. I saw her rubbing her back on rocks and scratching her face quite often. She may be the next to start her 1st molt
At the point RW02 PVKauai was in a tide pool near the Runway. I was able to document the little Damashi (?) hook on the right side of his mouth near his vibrissaes. While I was documenting him RO40 Ka'ena did a swim by.
At Main Beach R330 Squinty was in the pool doing the hippo.
On Back Beach little RL74 Kami was sleeping on the coral beach cornered between rocks.

All thru the weekend we have had the WWII planes flying over the point. It has been a treat. We can hear them coming from far and some do fly by's at eye level from our place looking to the ocean.  More tomorrow - Be safe 🌺🌺

No comments: