Thursday, December 12, 2019

December 12, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Wow what a morning out in the park.
The waves woke me up several times during the night, before day light I was ready to go.
Our front beaches were completely washed out - no surprise to see NO seals around here.
Molly & I drove out together to check the Yellow Face Bee totems. Waves were washing the coast, there were water marks where I've never seen them in over a decade monitoring out there.
I headed to the point while Molly did her survey and later came to join me.
Upon arrival I found RO40 Ka'ena, RW02 PVKauai and little RL98 Lina all sleeping together at the base of Big Rock on Back Beach. Ka'ena made his way down to the water got tossed by a couple of waves and hauled out again to mid beach.
PVKauai and Lina woke up, he started to make his way around the Naupaka and down Main Beach. She followed him. The were caught by a wave and went for a swim. We kept loosing sight of them in the waves and white wash. After 20 mnts I spotted her hauling out on the side beach. She made her way over the boulders and went to sleep. PVKauai swam around then tried to stay in Main Pool among some rocks. Waves ended up tossing him half way up the beach.
From the top of the Big Rock I kept and eye on Ka'ena. Thru a big wave I saw a weaner be tossed upon the beach. It was little RL74 Kami . She made her way up to Ka'ena. He ignored her and made his way back to the water. She followed.
During part of this ordeal Team T & D showed up. We watched the waves and the seals from different spots on high grounds, doing outreach with visitors.
molly & I had to head back out, but Tammy did let me know that Kami and Ka'ena hauled out went back in the water and finally she hauled out on Main Beach alone.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº  

No comments: