Sunday, December 8, 2019

December 8, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update x 2

As I opened my computer to do todays report and met yesterday's report looking at me. Guess I didn't press send.....

Yesterday:
This morning Marilyn, Sandra Diane & I hiked out to the point.
We started by checking the front beach and found R303 BG up near the Naupaka line were she probably over knighted.
At BB/Tables we saw a fresh small wallow and trail to the water.
On our way to the point we got to see the 2 Snow Geese fly over us and later on our way back saw them grooming themselves on a dune.
At the point little RL74 Kami was tugged at the foot of Flats Big Rock - easy to ID her being the only seal with black marking, when she turned a little she showed us and visitors her full mark N74.
It was a nice hike, the Albatross were hunkered down but we got to see some flying playing with the waves.
More tomorrow ðŸŒº

Today:
Little Ka'ala and I went down mid morning for our walk on the beach. As we stepped down I looked to the left and there was a big seal sleeping. I saw a CC scar on back, a chipped tag and it was a male. It could be RR70 RIP or RK36 Kauai Kolohe. I brought Ka'ala home and checked in with the group. Barbara had RR70 RIP with her so the seal in front was KKolohe. Later on I went back down with a camera and confirmed RK36 Kauai Kolohe's ID. While I was there he made his way into the water and started swimming very slowly in BB/Tables direction.
 I walked along the beach and made it there before him. There sleeping peacefully on yesterday's trails was  RK40 Napua. K. Kolohe showed up shortly after. A coulpe visiting from Florida and one of our posse joined me . We observed K.Kolohe sneak up on Napua, roll back down to the water, roll in the shore waves waiting and teasing the little one. after the third attempt she finally made her way down for the next 2 hours or more they played in the water coming back towards Lyman's. At sunset they were still in the water here in front.
More tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: