Wednesday, October 30, 2019

October 30, 2019 ( part 3 ) Lesley's Update Yesterday's News

Another 2 in one report due to to much going on I skipped sending yesterday
Yesterday as I went down early to check I found R303 BG and R330 Squinty overnighted at Camp Erdman Pt. Despite the big swell they spent all day there. I saw them go down twice to or near the waterline than galumph back up to the Naupaka.
In the morning BG's molt was at +80% and in the evening she had lost most of her skirt going to a 90%

This morning I saw a seal hauling out with the help of those big sets when I got down there I IDed R330 Squinty He spent all day there and I could still see him after sunset. Surf was enormous, big sets were washing the Naupaka line all along the beach, just like winter swells. 

I've been playing with another camera and am amazed at the quality of it's zoom. Some of yesterday's photos were taken from our place. I could ID BG by her bellie scar and R330 Squinty by his NB on chest. I felt like DB Iding seals on Rabbit Island from the pier. Marilyn, Donna, Dins and Gail - kudo's and all my respect to the hours you spend out there.
The photos of the butterfly I was way far away and had a tree trunk as support and the one of the Lilikoi from my bedroom porch across the garden - I only saw the cricket when looking at the photo on my computer !
This has been great to take photos of the seals eyes from far without them seeing me (all you need is patience, wait for them to move and pray it's in your direction)  - ex. in monitoring R330 Squinty's possible red right eye - which I'm happy to inform looks 100% normal  More tomorrow 🌺



 Lilikoi 

No comments: