Wednesday, October 16, 2019

October 16, 2019 Monk Seal Dailies: Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Yesterday morning I went down to check on an overnighted R303 "BG" at Camp Erdman Pt. She spent most of the morning there and came back in the late afternoon.
While I was doing some monitoring I had a Hawaiian Pueo fly over me then land on the grass field. It looked around, checked on me and flew away. Got the real blessing !

This morning at first light walking down the driveway I saw a seal down at CE Pt - I went to check and found an overnighted R303 "BG" - she spent all day there. This afternoon between squalls I checked on her and it seems she has some spots on her back. It could be her molt starting.

Out at the point an overnighted RR70 "RIP" on Back Beach
RW02 "PVKauai" was in the Main Pool - Both of the boys are green and stinky, should start molting soon.
I've been reporting that RR70 "RIP" should be starting his molt soon for a while due to his behavior, it seems he's looking for "the" spot to molt peacefully.

On my way back I checked Birth Beach/Tables and found a freshly hauled out RK40 "Napua" in her beautiful new coat.  More tomorrow 🌺

OMG - how gorgeous

No comments: