Thursday, October 24, 2019

October 24, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Team Tammy & Dave and I did the Ka'ena Pt monitoring today and What a day it turned out to be !!!!
Went I met up with them at 10 Mnts Beach, Tammy told me they hadn't seen the Snow Geese on the field on their drive in.
As we hiked along Dave pointed out some Spinners far out, we didn't see them again. Then we were 3/4 of the way in when I saw 2 little heads down the road. To our delight 2 Snow Geese were washing themselves and drinking in one of the rain puddles on the road. We stopped and watched them for a while.

In the NARS Dave walking ahead of us pointed out a seal in a pool. It was R303 BG (IDed by scars on bellie) in her pool. Her molt looks 40% although we didn't see her back so it could be more. Hours later on our way back she was still there.
Further on we saw RO40 Ka'ena (IDed by scars and tags O54/55)on the Runway. Tammy was taking photos while I was getting ready, and she said "What is he doing with a Q-Tip in his nose?". I barely had time to point my camera to him and she giggled "It's snort, right?" and so it was, snort dripping from his nose in the perfect shape of a Q-Tip.
On our way back he had moved into his pool.

Dave had walked on ahead, and buy the time we caught up with him at the point, Tammy says" Oh 2 seals!", while I'm looking at Dave showing me with his hand the hook sign on mouth. Argh, we stepped down faster and there was RL12 Aukai hauling out on Main Beach followed closely by RH32 Ka'ale.
One look and we saw the 2 lines coming over Aukai's muzzle. I moved to the opposite side of the beach and Tammy laced herself. I had Aukai facing in my direction and terrible light with the sun high. I started taking as many photos as I could before Ka'ale would come to disturb her. Tammy called her in while I went on assessing her and send photos in.
I went to find some shade to look at my photos and TA-DA !!! What I was looking at was TAPEWORM. I checked in with Tracy and she agreed. 
We stayed longer to make sure there was no external object, while doing a lot of outreach. Aukai moved down into the water, came back did a big head shake with her mouth wide open. Didn't have time to document it but did see there was nothing in his mouth and it was a beautiful bubblegum color.
It is not common to see Tapeworm come out thru a seal's mouth, it's usually in their poop
Aukai entered the water again,did a little swim and hauled out at her favorite spot with her face 100% clean. 
During all this Ka'ale had hung around, entered the water played in the waves and kept coming back to check on her. Then he finally left and we didn't see him again. 
I did notice he has a long scarline on his chest, I'll check my files  since I don't recall seeing it.

We stopped for a VERY well deserved dip at The Ponds on our hike back.

On my walk home I stopped to check BB Tables and there was RR70 RIP freshly hauled out. I wasn't able to check the % of his molt since he was very alert and on his tummy, but could see several missing patches on his neck and sides.  More tomorrow๐ŸŒบ


 EWWWWWW!

No comments: