Friday, October 25, 2019

October 25, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

We woke up to the sound of the big surf rolling in - as predicted or even bigger thru out the day.
On my morning check from the kitchen window I saw a seal down @ CE Pt. After our coffee I went down to ID it before it entered the water.
R303 BG had overnight up on the Naupaka line. Her molt is in the +60%
She wasn't giving much to confirm her ID. Finally she made it down to the waters edge and got swept away by a big set. She rolled a couple of times exposing her bellie - ID confirmed by her CC Scar. She was in the water for a few minutes then hauled out again and galumphed her way all the way up the beach.
I checked BB Tables but only found wallows and a trail into the water.

In the afternoon a second seal hauled out to join BG. Down I went and IDed RR70 RIP . His molt is between 15-20%

Before sunset I was with Kimo and guest in the field and I saw 3 seals. Discussion started most of them only saw 2 seals. I tried in vain to show them that from where we were looking the 1st seal was actually 2 seals because of length and a bump. Down I went to check and ID. RW02 PVKauai was the third seal. He still hasn't started his molt but his neck and chest look a little ruffled up.

I called Andrew the new Executive Director of Camp Erdman to come over so I could show him and family the seals. They were stoked.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº


No comments: