Monday, March 25, 2019

March 25, 2019 Monk Seal Dailies

Today's dailies comes to you from a variety of posse pals around the island.  Interesting how people still reach out to ask questions.  

We also have some interesting news that for sure goes into the "how cool is that category". Which I will lead with.  The past week or so Team Billand spotted a female unknown seal on the westside. Information was submitted to NOAA/PIFSC where they checked their data and could not ID her and gave her a TEMP 400 ID.  Well it gets better than that, email today from NOAA/PIFSC had ID'd this female as XY77 and she is from French Frigate Shoals. Talk about a long way from home. She is estimated to be 26 years old.... this does make one wonder if the damage at French Frigate Shoals from Hurricane Walaka sent her looking for a new home... and if she made her way will there be others.  

I got a text this afternoon from a friend who was at the Elks Club and sent me a couple of photos of seal, asking who I thought it might be, she said someone said it was Kaimana.  I had to laugh because as much as I knew I probably couldn't ID the critter, I knew it was not Kaimana.  My best guess was Kaiwi since she's been in the area and asked her if there was anyone there watching over her. She replied later stating that someone from NOAA (probably a volunteer) was there and said the seal was in fact Kaiwi RK96.

Another posse pal sent an email as they were lucky enough to see the one and only Honey Girl today R5AY.  She is looking mighty healthy and quite plump.

And last but nor least is a link to Kauai Seals blog with an update on RB00 and PK1. Seven weeks and Mom is still nursing this chunk bomb.  Having said that Mom is still looking pretty healthy considering how HUGE this kid is. WOW!
https://kauaiseals.wordpress.com/2019/03/25/monk-seal-monday-51-seven-weeks-after-giving-birth-rb00-still-hasnt-weaned-a-chunky-pk1/


RK96 Kaiwi
R5AY Honey Girl
 RB00 and PK1 (courtesy of Kauai Seals Blog) 

 Just have to sneak this in..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a very very special person in the monk seal community.  I know you didn't want me to do this but I'm sorry you are far too important not to wish you a very HAPPY Birthday and thank you for everything you have done and continue to do for the monk seals.  Your Monk Seal Ohana loves you very much <3 



No comments: