Sunday, March 31, 2019

March 31, 2019 (part 2) News from Kauai from our Pal Val

Aloha Blog Lady,
First and foremost I wanna give a big shout out to the Blog Contributors.  As you know we had a Unknown  (at least to us) large male seal here on Kauai this morning. I sent out  a message out asking for helping with IDing this seal. Within minutes, I not only knew the ID, I was basically given this seals entire life history---right down to his dehooking and name!!  The amount of information that your blog contributors know is amazing and frankly damn impressive!  It's so fun to be able to share this sort of information with one another. We grow as  seal advocates when we share.
Anyhow, our mystery seal was RW22 Male-2008, son of RK28. I have attached the photo of him that was taken this morning by J.H.  BTW, he was looking for chicks--high speed cruiser mode!!! 
I also found 3 seals in a survey I took late this afternoon. All seals were documented and Kauai Seal Hotline was informed of findings. I found our newly weaned PK1,he weaned on Saturday and will be 8 weeks old tomorrow!!! 
He continues to explore the shallow waters in search of sea cucumbers and coral.   His uncle, RK58 continues to molt and looks to be 85-90% complete.  The final seal is R313, an adult female. Don't know much about her, most likely a Ni`ihau seal. She's one of my favorites.
So there ya  have it....a very successful Seal Sunday!!!
Thank you Pal Val !!  All I can say is the people I have met the last 11+ years of doing this gig remains to be some of the most wonderful and amazing friendships ever.  We have been successful in sharing what we find and passing on what we know; all for this amazing species we all look out for.

One over sized weaner PK1 (8 weeks old on 4/1)
 R313 female looking pretty plump
 RK58 molting (PK1's uncle)
 Oahu's RW22 Kolohe in full cruise mode on Kauai - looking for the girls 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So awesome to hear from Kauai - love to see the seals! Would it not be wonderful if all of the islands were able share? Love and blessings to Val!