Monday, June 1, 2015

6/1/2015 DB's Dailies: Aukai,RM38, Kainoa&Cass@RI, Kolohe @ Maili Guard Rails, Kimo Kai @ LahiLahi, Ka'ena, RW02, RL42 & RIP @ Ka'ena Point

Big waves and super rough seas, made all sites in the SE quadrant uninhabitable by man and seal. Once again Rabbit Island was the only hope.

 At 0729 I found Aukai (RL12). She would be joined by RM38 at 0831.

 On a pan at 0831 I noticed what would prove to be Kainoa (RN04) out on the left rock flat.

 At 1144 PO2 moved up into view at the far left end of the beach. Kainoa would later move over, and RM38 also stopped by to investigate the two, but moved away quickly.

 Mail from Thea advised that the troops may not get out to tag the weaner until next week ???? I was hopin’ for today but........ I’ve been seeing what I believe to be a female belly for some days now, and I’ve decided to commit. If I’m wrong, it won’t be my first error. I decided some time ago to call her Cass. As I’ve said before I select watermen & women’s names for Ewa Girl’s offspring, of which Sadie is one. Cass is a conglomeration of the initials for two professional bodyboarders and all round water women that I used to shoot. They are Chris Ann Kim (Severson), and Shawn Oide (Lyman). Cass it is !!!

 Team Billand checked in at 0739 with the report of Kolohe (RW22) at Maili Guard Rails.

 At 1032 they found Kimo Kai @ LahiLahi.

 Vera Cober trekked to The End of the World today, and called with the report of RL42 at the 20 minute mark on the Waianae side trail, and Ka’ena (RO40) & RW02 at the point. RIP would stop by briefly to check RW02. Ka’ena is still with hook,

 Aukai and RM38
 RM38, Cass and Kainoa 
Ka'ena at Ka'ena Point still with hool
 hoping he can shake it oof soon
 poor guy
 RL42 relaxing without a care in the world 
 RW02 singing a tune
 napping on the job
Kimo Kai
 Kolohe 

2 comments:

Karen said...

If we're going to be giving names to our seals, cultural sensitivity indicates that we give them Hawaiian names. I thought NOAA had someone on hand with Hawaiian language skills to help come up with a strong, appropriate name based on each pup's characteristics, behavior, environmental conditions, etc. DB is the person to go to for these observations for this particular seal.

Unknown said...

Mahalo for the shout out, DB! 😘