Sunday, June 10, 2012

6-10-2012 DB's Dailies: Sadie,Kolohe,Kekoa, M&M@RI, Kerby@Maili Pt, U/Us@MI,RR&Ft.Derussy


I was out the door at 0530 on the M&M quest, but initially she was nowhere to be found.

At 0625 I found what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22) doing his cruiser male thing, checkin' the Rabbit Island beach for chicks.

At 0627 I thought I saw an animal partially visible behind the Morning Glory and dunes, 40 ft left of 1BS on RI. It would later prove to be Sadie (RB12). Once she moved down to cool off, Kolohe zeroed in on her and the spent the rest of the day together, fronting 1BS.

At 0630, to my complete surprise a small , transmittered animal hauled out 60 ft right of 3BS. With the hideous morning visibility I couldn't get an immediate ID, however when Marilyn called at 0808 to advise that Kaiwi was at Spitting Cave, it became an immediate no brainer.... it had to be Kekoa (RK72). He would later move down to the water front rocks to cool off, and remained the rest of the day.

Marilyn called at 0808 with the Kaiwi (RK96) report. According to posse member Kimo she departed SC at 0949.

Posse member Gayle called to say that posse member Teri said that Kaiwi was at Lanai Lookout at 1245.

At the top of the page I said that the M&M quest began poorly. At 1019 on a routine pan of the RI beach front, I found a partially visible animal amongst the waterfront rocks , to the right of Seal Rock Inlet. on RI. Four hours later, I finally confirmed that it was M&M (R020). I never got a full blown look at her. I first saw a female belly, and then hours later, just a partial look at her N23 bleach, allowing the ID. Her behavior indicated that she was alone. I'm reasonably sure she had been there all along, but I failed to see her until the tide moved her up into view. Tomorrow ????????

Team Billand called at 0713 with the report of Kerby (RW08) at Maili Pt.

Ocean Safety (Lifeguards) called at 1450 with the report of an animal at Magic Island, but called again at 1456 to advise that the animal had departed.

Dera called at 1528 to advise that Eileen had an U/U with red tags at the Reef Runway.

When I mentioned the MI haul out, Dera wondered aloud if it might not be the same animal that was being reported off of Ft. Derussy ? There was never a reported haul out.

Happy Birthday to Kekoa !! He is 1 yr. old today !!!!

 Sadie and Kolohe
  Kaiwi @ Spitting Cave
 and this is why we love bleach numbers
 Happy Birthday Kekoa - very nice for him to show up today...
 Kerby @ Maili  
 oh Kerby being a silly seal

No comments: