Wednesday, February 29, 2012

2-29-2012 DB's Dailies


At 0639 I found Irma (R010) waiting for me at the left side of Hanauma Bay, on the beach. I cordoned her off, and she remained the rest of the day. She was still there when I picked up the stuff when HB closed at 1800.

I'm sorry to report that Irma has sustained a superficial shark bite on her right side, posterior, just above the ankles. Tracy concurred that it was in fact a shark bite. I saw the left side and found nothing, but I was
 unable to see her ventral side, so as to see a matching pattern. She appears to be in no distress.

I spent hours and hours trying to ID a juvenile male at the left end of Rabbit Island. I stayed until 1700, but never got the ID. All I can state as fact is a juvenile male belly, with 2 red tags. My guess is either Duke or Kolohe, but I cannot prove either. Hopefully, tomorrow will answer the mystery.

At 1124 posse member Linda called to report a mostly submerged animal in the tide pool at Irma's Grotto. When we arrived it proved to be Rocky....again. She had not been there on my morning check. Linda called again at 1751 to advise that Rocky had departed of her own volition.

The Billands called to advise that Vera Cober had reported Pohaku (RO28) at KoOlina. Vera's excellent photos confirm the ID.
Team Billand had one of their usual action packed days, with a large cast, once again.
At 0838 they found R018 at Maili Point.
At 1436 they reported that Noa (R6FI) had also shown up at Maili Point.
At 1557 they found M&M (R020) at Tracks.
Kermit (R012) was their last find , near the first bunker on the west side of the Nimitz Jetty.

 Oh Irma !  That's a close call!  I don't even what to think about it. All I can think, is these seals must have the ability to haul a$$ when the sharks is just about chomp down.
 New markers for Irma
 Rocky had so much fun yesterday, she came back for more 
 RO28 @ KoOlina

No comments: