Tuesday, January 28, 2020

01/28/2020 Tuesday - A Message from the Posse

I received an email from Posse Pal Anissa K this morning and she gave me permission to post this for her.  She makes some very valid point which I was attempting to do in my rant from yesterday.  THANK YOU Anissa for speaking up and thank you for having my back.

“With regard to the “speculation” about Pohaku’s status, secrecy is divisive and it does nothing to further the conservation of our HMS.  I, myself, do not Facebook so I have not seen the discourse.  However, I had heard from two different folks on two different continents and half a world apart who advised they had learned Pohaku had passed and they really wanted some confirmation.  I advised them I not seen any “official” word from any source.  This goes to show how rumors are started and it also shows how it would be so easy for there to be some “official” information passed simply stating that Pohaku has been captured and brought in for observation and testing…maybe even a short additional update letting folks know a prognosis.  She is either responding to treatment or she isn’t.  It is no big secret that our HMS get sick, injured or worse.  We as a community of HMS conservationists and lovers care for these beautiful creatures and it hurts our hearts to lose one, but we keep on keeping on for the species.  It is saddening that there is so much division especially when we are told to do our volunteer work with the upmost “Aloha” and we cannot do that in our own community.  Those who are out every day collecting data, responding to haul outs (“official” or “unofficial”), reporting distress, and/or conducting outreach bring a unique piece to a big puzzle.  Like the saying goes “it takes a village” and everyone of us are part of the community. Peace and blessings to all - and prayers for our beautiful Pohaku!”    Anissa

No comments: