Tuesday, January 7, 2020

01/07/2020 Tuesday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Today was one of those days were you smile all day.
It also was a 7 HMSeal day - not bad since seals seem to be around Aunty Barbara
So I'll skip all the rest and go to the seal part of the day.
As I arrived at the Boulders a hiker/runner was all pleased to tell me there was a VERY big seal at the point - as I got there from far I saw an adult seal on the outer reefs of Main Pool, I was sure that wasn't who he had seen due to location. The seal was RW22 Kolohe who I haven't seen for a very long time. He was one of the pups
(along with Hoku) that started the first volunteer group on Oahu in 2008. Of course, I lived in Hawaii Kai and crossed the island several times a week to monitor him on all day shifts and of all places on the "Nudist Beach". He's also the reason I started hiking KPt from Mokulei'a side. Little did I know that I'd end up living here.
On Back Beach the BIG seal I'd been told about, was really a BBIIGG seal, our girl RL12 Aukai she's green and phat. I'll stick to my prediction that she'll be the first one to pup this year on this rock.
The hiker/runner missed seing the other 2 small seals tucked up in the Naupaka on both sides of the beach RL74 Kami and RL98 Lina. Lina is an adorable mini seal, the world may be coming down around here she doesn't even blink. Kami on the other hand is well aware of what goes on around her, even if it's just by opening an eye to check. Her wound has dried, the flat of the bite didn't fall off and stuck back in the hole. She has a little cut between digits 4 & 5 of her LFF.
In the early afternoon on my second check RL12 Aukai was down on the waterline. Suddenly a seal swam in the bay and right towards her. I could see his left side and started seeing scars I didn't recognize and no tags. Well we have a new male on the rock, a U/M for now, let's see what comes from the documentation I did. Will share when I get any info.

I made it back just at sunset and as I was driving up the driveway I saw 2 seals down @ CE
Pt. I turned around, went down to check them and IDed R303 BG and R330 Squinty. He was partially covered in thin sand that the wind was blasting on the point. A real free skin peeling.

Tomorrow morning  I have to be out at the point at dawn, so hopefully I'll see who did an overnight.  So more tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: