Friday, January 31, 2020

01/31/2020 Friday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Two days ago Tammy saw a Booby near Hidden Beach. Yesterday she and Dave saw him again in the same spot. They noticed something was wrong and called me at the point. I met them and we tried to rescue him, alas he was on nasty sharp lava so we aborted our mission.
This morning I went out early, prepared to get him. Rescue was easy because he had moved to a better spot.
On my way back to the gate with him settled in the cage, I called the Hotline. Kelsie came to meet us to transport him to the vet.
Of course things weren't that smooth. As I was taking him out of our cage to transfer him to the transport box, he was wiggling around, I concentrated on his wings, let my guard down....  and smack ðŸ’‹ I got a Booby kiss on my lower cheek. Check out it's beak on the photos
After they left I turned around and went to the point. What a beautiful and very busy day. I spent so much time doing outreach that I barely had time to take photos, but managed to get a few good ones
From far I documented The TRIO Snow Geese - at home on big screen I noticed a photo-bomber on both pics
At the point RL98 Lina was hauled out bellow the big rock. It took her most of the morning but she made her way down to the Main Pool.
RN58 Luana was in the same spot she's been for the last 3 days - finally in peace cause R330 Squinty was no where around.

The highlight of the day was to document more albatross chicks. They are in full hatching mode out here.

Kimo and I were down doing our sunset walk and a big seal hauled out. To my surprise it was RG40 Holokai whom we haven't seen around here for a while. I'll check on him in the morning.    More tomorrow ðŸŒº

 Albatross chickie
 Boobie taken into for care 
 RL98 Lina
 Luana RN58
 snow goose
 snow geese

No comments: