Wednesday, January 22, 2020

01/22/2020 (part 2) Wednesday Lesley's Ka'ena Update

I would like to start this report thanking the Billands for all they do for the Hawaiian Monk Seals and our seal community. A special friend of ours used to say" You've done GOOD" or " worth your weight in manapua". You have helped save so many seals thru the years, thru your eyes, response, dedication, knowledge and love. Mahalo πŸŽ‰  I second that, and along with many others we appreciate their years of dedication and experience!

This morning, Molly and I headed out to the point together. She's responsible for the Yellow Face Bee project out here and comes out to do her survey once a month. I think I got to see one today. They are so very small.
At the point I thought I had been skunked but wasn't. I an unusual (for her) place I saw RN58 Luana. She spent most of the morning in the same place but when that swell started to pick up, she was tossed a couple of times so she moved to a safer location. Once again their concept of comfortable isn't the same as mine.
I went for a walk and spotted RL74 Kami hauled up high, bellie on some reefs where she stayed most of the day.
Back at the point a seal was logging, shall I say rolling gently in a small tide pool in the outer reefs. The big swell rolling in made it move into the Main pool to a higher spot. It was RO40 Ka'ena

On our way out in the early afternoon we stopped by Hidden Beach and met a freshly hauled out RR70 RIP

We are all waiting anxiously for our first albatross hatching that should happen any minute now.  More tomorrow🌺
  

1 comment:

b said...

Wow Les, Donna, I had chicken skin reading that comment....THANKS SO MUCH. We appreciate your kind words. Makes it all worth the many hours spent out in the hot sun daily. Kind words go along ways.

glad Pohaku was finally captured!!! Hope with all my heart, NOAA can help her out what ever she is suffering from. We have been with Pohaku since her arrival to Oahu back in 2010 I believe.

And after hearing what Charles Vindiha, 78 did to HER MOM K06...We PROMISED TO TAKE CARE OF HER .... hasnt been easy. I dont want what Charles Vindiha did to Pohaku's MOm. That was a huge TRAGIC MOMENT, A HUGE LOSS, for NOTHING.

Prayers to Pohaku!!!!! Work your magic Michelle/ Dr Greg and whoever else involved.

Im glad Pohaku is no longer logging in the currents to no where. She is in good hands.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!