Tuesday, February 23, 2016

2/22/2016 DBs Dailies:Right Spot@Sandy Beach, RG32,Buster&Kainoa@Rabbit Island, Luana@Hidden Bch, Kekoa@Maili Pt, Pohaku@Campbell Industrial Park, Rocky@Nimitz Cove, Kimo Kai@Nanakai Bch Pk, Nihoa@Pokai Bay, R5AY@Hauula

Anyone who was out there today knows, that it was one heck of a challenging ocean day ! Though I put in some time, Makai Pier was not the place to be today. I had a few close calls, and then one that said it was time to leave. Thankfully all the equipment survived.

At 0630 I found Right Spot up at the Naupaka line at the east end of Sandy Beach. She would move down mid day, and then back up again in he afternoon. Mahalos to Gayle and Melanie.

 On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0905 I found RG32 in the vegetation, 70 ft right of 3BS. When I got back at 1035 I found that Buster (RV08) & Kainoa (RN04) had joined him.

Lesley & Colleen did the End of the World trek today. The only animal found was Luana (RN58) at Hidden Beach. Lesley did a video piece that I’ll try to get to you.

 Team Billand checked in at 0915 with the report of a foraging Kekoa (RK72) off shore of Maili Point.

 They got a call at 1100 about and animal at Nimitz. The found Rocky (RH58) at Nimitz Cove. Mahalos to surfer James !

 At 1234 the Billands found Kimo Kai (RT12) at Nanakai Beach, Maili.

 An Ocean Safety call at 1315 advised of an animal at Pokai Bay. The Billands reported Nihoa (R912) at 1329.

 A Dana text at 1349 advised of an U/U at Kualoa Ranch, and R5AY in Hauula. I’m not quite sure about this being two animals or perhaps all the same report. Awaiting further word, and photos.

 Right Spot
 I often wonder what the seals do when there is big surf.... do they get bothered and tossed around or do they frolic and play?  
Nihoa
 looks pretty calm here
 Pohaku
 Rocky
Kekoa
 Kimo Kai
 Mural with monk seal in Nanakuli ... TERRIFIC !!!
 sunset at white plains
VIDEO courtesy of Leslie (thank you for sharing_

No comments: