Monday, February 1, 2016

2/1/2016 DB's Dailies: Buster@Hanauma Bay, RG32@Rabbit Island, Kekoa@Maili Pt, Holokai@Turtle Bay, Nani&U/U@Moku Nui, Nihoa@Makai Ranch

At 0700 on my Hanauma Bay check I found an animal on the left side rock flats, from the overview. When I got down there at 0712 I found Buster (RV08) . He is brand new and shiny, with his new coat on. Hanauma Bay was closed shortly thereafter due to Box Jellyfish, so Buster had the place all to himself.

 I got to Makai Pier at 0940 I saw nobody on Rabbit Island, however after many pans of the beach front, at 1205 I found RG32's belly starring back a me. He was on the water front rocks, 60 ft right of 1BS, and may well have been there all along, but I just missed him. He was my only find of the day. 

At 1404 I got a call from C/C Lifeguard Dispatch, reporting “a dead baby seal” on the beach at Waimanalo Beach Park. 99% of the dead seal calls you get are not that at all, but that 1% really, really sucks ! I am happy to report that this was yet another of the 99%. When I arrived at 1412 the lifeguard advised that after he made the call, he found out that it was a stuffed toy. He pointed out the homeless lady who had started the whole thing, and upon questioning her , she took me to the nearby bathroom garbage can where she had deposited the toy, stuffed dog that she had found in the shore break. Whew !!!!!!!!!!

 At 0740 Team Billand found Kekoa (RK72) at Maili Point.

 At 1134 Diane T.  reported Holokai (RG40) at the Keiki Pool, Turtle Bay.

 At 1218 Diane Gabriel forwarded photos from Bob Twogood Kayaks, showing “a mama & baby on Moku Nui”. As it turned out Nani (RK60) and a smaller U/U were documented.

 Diane also forwarded shots from Carola Johnston confirming Nihoa (R912) front Makai Ranch, beyond Kahuku Point. Thank you Carola.

 RG32 
Buster
 got to be one of the stranger things posted on the blog.... but in all fairness I think I would be freaked out if I saw this...
 you can see how the face resembles a baby seal... scary... i will say it's a lot closer than a call i responded to of a dead fish
Nani on Moku Nui

 Nani and smaller UU on Moku Nui

No comments: