Monday, July 13, 2015

7/13/2015 DB's Dailies: Cass @ RI , Benny @ SB, Makaiwi@Nanakuli, U/U@Sunset, Rocky&Pup@Kauai

The day got off to a slow, and wet start. My 0703 look at Rabbit Island was zero, as was my 2nd look at 0830. After a long wait Cass (RG06) finally hauled out to the left end of the beach on RI. She moved up and snoozed away the rest of the day. She was the only RI resident today.

 Team Billand called at 0720 with the report of Makaiwi (R4DF) at Nanakuli.

 A DanaTxt at 1223 advised of an U/U at Sunset Beach. It was thought that Right Spot was at the top of the possibles list, but the shot received was inconclusive , so it must remain an U/U.

I found mail, this morning, from our pal Val, on Kauai, advising that Rocky (RH58) had arrived on Kauai yesterday. Lloyd Miyashiro’s shots confirm the arrival. A call from Val today at 1331 advised that Rocky had pupped . I confirmed that with Tracy.

 In the Yesterday’s News department, shots from Diane Terai, received last night gave a solid look at PO3's ventral side. I had my own opinion, but I sent the shots off to my Senseis Thea & Tracy at NOAA, for a professional opinion. Happily , they agreed with my thinking. PO3 is a male.

 At 1833 posse member Vicki Hangai called with the report of an animal with a transmitter patch on it’s back, at Crappy Cove, Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1840 I found Benny (RE74), and Vicki & I cordoned him off. All was well until two local people and their two yappie dogs arrived, insisting upon talking loudly to Benny. While I was trying to stop that behavior the dogs entered the zone and a combination of all that caused Benny to depart at 1916. We picked up the equipment and called it a day. Sorry, Benny!

 Benny... his belly still growing fur ... probably won't even out until he molts
 
 Cass
 
Maka'iwi hanging out Nanakuli
 Big Momma Rocky arrives on Kauai on Sunday
 and pups on Monday.... glad there wasn't any delays getting there
UU at sunset
 the belly shot.... a boy!

1 comment:

b said...

God bless you Rocky RH58 for giving us yet another pup. The last beautiful female pup that was born on June 28th was bitten by feral dogs...got the shots to stop the infection from the bites and SURVIVED!!

Well just at five months old that sweet angel of a pup who was thriving all alone, was beaten to death by some moron, and the killer was never found. It was such a big tragedy to Kauai volunteers and to US.

Here she is, given birth on July 13, 2015...again. I hope with all my heart, that this pup can make it to its 40th birthday. Prayers to you ROCKY, and thank you for this gift of birth.

To all the Volunteers on Kauai, good luck in keeping this pup safe...THANKS TO ALL OF YOU AWESOME HUMANS OUT THERE. YOU ARE ALL APPRECIATED!!!