Saturday, July 18, 2020

07/18/2020 (part 3) Marilyn's Rabbit Island Update.

I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from about 2:15 to 4:35 pm today.  I spotted a total of 10 Hawaiian Monk Seals. There was a fair amount of action and some coming and going which kept me busy but without time to concentrate on any single seal.

I have numbered the seals from 1 to 10 starting from the Lanikai side of the island.

Seal 1 - PO5 is now quite large and still with Mom and day 43. I still haven't gotten a good view of the belly so I still don't know PO5's sex which is very frustrating

Seal 2 - Mom (presumably RB12 Sadie)

Seal 3 - Adult seal with very green coat and at least one tag. It had just hauled out when I started viewing. It then moved up the beach and behind a berm for awhile.  Then when PO5 headed for the water, this unknown adult went down to the waterline and was giving Po5 a hard time. Then Mom finally came down and got into a fracas.  This interaction was at the waterline where the waves break and I missed much of the altercation. The 3 seals briefly went into the water but soon came out and Mom worked hard to keep herself between PO5 and Seal 3. My guess is Seal 3 is male, but I never got a good view of the belly.

Seal 4 - juvenile seal with an older coat, two tags and I think female.

Seal 5 and Seal 6 were about 100 feet Makapuu side of 1BS on the waterfront rocks.

Seal 5 is an adult female, with tags and looks about ready to molt.  I wonder if this is RL12 Aukai returning to RI for her post-weaning molt.

Seal 6 - subadult to adult male with tags.  I believe this is RG32 because I was able to see the N11 applied bleach.  He entered the water for a brief while but soon came back.

Seal 7 - one of the two male weaners on Rabbit Island. I think this is PO3 due to the lighter belly. I noticed at 2:30 that Seal 8 had joined PO3.

Seal 8 - subadult to adult male with tags and lighter male belly. I don't have a guess as to ID of this seal.  I always hope that RJ06 Aka will show up.

Seal 9 - juvenile female seal with tags was originally alone on Rocky Right Beach.  This seal has an older coat and some green visible on the ventral side. About 2:30 Seal 10 joined seal 9. 

Seal 10 - Adult size with at least one tag.  I never saw the belly. The seal may have a scar on the right side of the face which means this could be RK72 Kekoa Alii.  About 3:10, Seal 9 headed for the water with Seal 10 close behind her.

About 10 minutes after I saw Seal 9 enter the water, I think she hauled out alone from SRI. It was after she hauled out there that I got a good look at her belly.

No comments: