Saturday, July 18, 2020

07/18/2020 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was an early start for a very busy day - I didn't think I'd only say this one day but have found myself repeating it : I LOVE MONDAYS !!

RN58 Luana was hauled out on the beach @ Lyman's West. There was a couple near her with 2 dogs off leash. I went to talk to them, they apologized said they hadn't seen her and left. I gave them the benefit of the doubt but as I went towards BB/Tables I saw all the dog prints around her ...argh! I saw her shaking her head twice and it didn't seem right. After documenting her I felt I had to go back to see her before heading to the point. When I came back, she had changed position and I had a good look at her muzzle: she was TOTALY fine and clean.
By then little PO4 Kai D87 had hauled out in front of our main beach access.
At 10 Mns Beach RK40 Napua was hauled out she was still there hours later when I came back. A family with whom I had done outreach were there as her guardians. According to the parent, their kids had been the mini outreach techs telling every hiker who she was and why she was green.
RL74 Kami was hauled out on reefs near Ka'ena's Pool, when I came back a giant seal was beside her it was RO40 Ka'ena himself.
I followed a swimmer to the point when he entered the Main Pool, I had to get people out and do outreach. During which a second seal came in for the visitors' delight.
At home I was able to ID the seals as 1) RK36 Kauai Kolohe and 2) as RW02 PVKauai. PVKauai was NOT welcome and left.
There are less and less Albatross chicks they are fledging so fast. On the other hand, we may have a record-breaking number of Shearwaters this year.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº



No comments: