Sunday, February 15, 2015

2/15/15 DB's Dailies: UU@RI, BG@KBP, Ka'ena&RW02@KP, Haupu&Nihoa@Maipalaoa

On the road , as usual at sunrise. Despite much looking it would be 0800 before I saw my first critter, snoozin’ in the Morning Glory, 80 ft right of 3BS on Rabbit Island. Once again I must end the day with an U/U. Today’s excuse (“anything but results is excuses”)is that the cold North winds caused significant heat distortion, so getting a good solid look at the finer requirements was impossible. It was a youngin’ for sure. Probably Kainoa, but , could have been one of the girls also ???????

A Dana email brought a Benny Map from Charles, so I did a mid day check of the SE quadrant, as did Melanie. No luck. The map indicated that Benny had last been pinged in the Diamond Head area, so he is likely headed out this way (or Molokai ? )

 I got back to Makai Pier for my afternoon RI session at 1330 or so. My just pure luck, I happened to pan over the Kaupo Beach Park at 1451 I spied a likely looking rock, out on the off shore rocks. Sure enough it would proved to be BG (R303). I’d never gotten any calls prior to my finding her, but did get a DanaText later, as well as a call from Jeff Palowski at Sea Life Park. Mostly nobody had a clue she was there, and to do anything would only have drawn attention to her. She remains at dark.

 Team Billand checked in at 0655 with the report of Nihoa (R912) & Haupu (RB24) at the Maipalaoa Canal. They reported Nihoa’s departure at 0841, but later found out that she , in fact, had remained but hidden under the bridge. Nihoa would haul out to the Uleawa side of the canal atd 1511. Haupu was floating all day, according to the Billands.

 Marilyn & Lesley did the End of the World trek today, and reported Ka’ena (RO40) & RW02) at Ka’ena Point today. The were together at the main beach, but RW02 would move up and later move to the back beach.

 U/U at Rabbit Island
 BG hanging with the folks 
 BG - Benny's big girl
 Speaking of Benny... here's a map of his latest travels

 RW02 and Ka'ena
 RW02
 Ka'ena

No comments: