Thursday, February 12, 2015

2/12/2015 DB's Dailies: Kea @ Blowhole, DB&Diane Terai, UU@RI, UU@SC, Gayle Matsuda, Haupu@ Uleawa's, Team Billand,

On my 0723 check of Rabbit Island I found what, at the end of the day must be called and U/U. The animal was near the Morning Glory at Seal Rock Inlet, and I could see two markers, either scar tissue or natural bleaches on the right side that were unfamiliar to me. The animal would later roll to the water line and was out of my line of sight by 1139. I may have seen a male belly on the rolls, but ???? Subsequent checks , through the afternoon, from the Makapuu Overview proved that the animal was still there, but totally invisible from the pier. No ID was possible from the overview. Maybe tomorrow ???

At 0845 on my 4th check of Blowhole I met up with Whale Watcher posse person, Bob Ubersax , who advised that he might have seen a couple of animals in the canal to Eternity Beach earlier, but that they had departed . The words were no sooner out of his mouth when I spied an animal, which would prove to be Kea (RN46), foraging off the Blowhole Lookout, and thrashing a prey item. While I was struggling to get my camera out, Bob got the shot. Kea would begin his haul out to the cove on the Sandy Beach side of the Blowhole Lookout at 0906. Despite signs, the usual complement of idiots just had to be idiots. Thank you, Diane T. for the shots. He would remain the rest of the day.

 Gayle called at 0905 with the report of an U/U foraging at Spitting Cave. She remained until well after 1000 and got lots of shots, but , though it pains me to say so, we’ve gotta’ go with an U/U. My substantial gut whispers to me that it’s probably Duke, based on a muzzle & an eyebow, but there is no word for “probably” in the Monk Seal (or NOAA) language.

 At 1443 Team Billand called to advise that they had found Haupu (RB24) at Uleawa’s on the west side

Kea having some lunch at blow hole.
 Kea hauled out after some play, and lunch 
 
 some things never change
 unknown hanging out on Rabbit Island 
 unknown swimming by at spitting cave
 
Haupu at Uleawa 
 beautiful evening shot at Nanakuli

No comments: