Tuesday, November 28, 2017

11/28/2017 Monk Seal Dailies: (Part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

I started out to Ka’ena Pt past noon due to iffy weather.
At 10 Mnts Beach RN58 “Luana” was hauled out. She will always have a puppy face for me, but her body…. Well she’s looking very healthy.
At the point RW02 “PVKauai” and R330 “Squinty” were hauled out on Back Beach. Both headed down to the waterline got pounded by waves then turned back up the beach. Seems they’ll overnight.
They were LOTS of trails on the beach, most of them with left-overs, the smell was quite strong everywhere.
I was surprised to see the number of hikers on a Tuesday afternoon, did lots of outreach. An Asian man tried to tell me he saw 2 seals on the Waianae side. Later other hikers told me the were 2 seals near the entrance gate on the Waianae side. Of I went, to find RO40 “Ka’ena” (molt 10%) and R3CU.
I back tracked, saw the 2 seals sleeping peacefully on Back Beach.
I was a hard hike back with the wind gusts on my face, on the 5+ hours I was out there I saw heavy rain all around and only got the out skirts with some light blessings.
RN58 “Luana” was still at 10 Mnts Beach but further up, away from the big waves washing the beach.

That beach is the vortex of this side and gets all the plastic / sea debris.

 Luana
 PVKauai RW02 
Welcome back Squinty
 R3CU & RO40 Ka'ena
 R3CU 
 Ka'ena 

No comments: