Thursday, November 2, 2017

11/2/2017 DB Facts! Just the Facts

Aloha Good People!
For those of you who didn't make the talk last Thursday night at Haunama Bay, no secret it was about our beloved DB Dunlap aka Seal Whisperer.  And for those of you who were there I think you will agree with me that seeing these numbers just puts into perspective the impact he had on the monk seal world.  (Too bad we didn't keep track of how many volunteers were inspired by him).  I for one will be forever grateful to my sensei, he was an amazing teacher by just what he practiced, he wasn't about being in the spotlight, or even coming up with the numbers to make himself look good. I bet he would even be impressed by some of these numbers himself. He was simply about the seals, and that is what he did from sun up to sun down.... ( somewhere in between he sat with Marilyn, fed the cats and wrote the dailies).   So Monk Seal Ohana, here are some facts as to why there is only ONE DB.  May we all learn from his spirit, his truth, and his honesty for caring about these critters.

DB started watching over seals in 2001, but the data collected here from NOAA is from 2003 - 2017.
He had reported:

  • 19,500 sightings that is 49% of all of Oahu's sightings
  • 14,000 were from Rabbit Island
  • There are 70 individual seals that he personally knew by observing and documenting (53 of them from Rabbit Island). He also knew all the Oahu seals and many of the others from different Islands and would often assist volunteers in identifying which seal they saw.
  • Documented 18 births on Oahu, 15 of them on Rabbit Island
  • 30 threats or dangers that require some type of intervention

I still miss my friend dearly.... and I know I am not alone.  Oh and just for fun a couple of us old timers were able to name 14 of the 15 pups born on Rabbit Island, Marilyn had to help us out with the one we were missing.  So for all of you.  The first RIP (Rabbit Island Pup), Mojo, Buster, Sadie, Kerby, Duke, Aukai, Sam, Cass, Nani, Kainoa, Mikala, Pua, Kala and Aka.

1 comment:

B said...

He never stopped teaching any of us volunteers. He ALWAYS SHARED his knowledge with all. NOTHING WITH HIM WAS TOP SECRET...he answered all our questions right away and if he didnt know, he would FIND OUT FOR US. He would say: THIS IS THE MONK SEAL CIA. And he was so RIGHT.

There will never be a man like DB DUNLAP again, he was ONE OF A KIND.

I was always amazed of his abilities to see 1/8 mile away and ID ALL THE SEALS.

I can be 50 feet of an animal and have difficulty. So I would call him up, we would conquer on phone and emails. What a guy.

He also had a very big heart....

And the last contact with him was a biggie...I sent him photos of a pup on shore with ROCKY. I wasnt wearing my glasses at the time I received the shot. I missed SEEING THE PUP WITH ROCKY. When HE got the shot, he went: BARBARA thats ROCKY with a PUP. I went WHAT???? She had a pup in Waikiki!!!!!! Did you call the hotline???? Nope. I didnt see THAT PUP AT ALL, thought it was a rock. He called the hotline right away. I got out my glasses and went HOLY SHIT ROCKY?????? HOLY SHIT!!!!

I was out at Kaena Pt that morning...getting that news, was insane for me.

The photo came from my sister...no wonder she sent it to ME. HA HA HA. I was wondering WHY SHE WAS SO EXCITED.

Thanks Tracy and Donna for all what has been posted...DB WAS A LEGEND and his LOVE FOR THE SEALS WILL LIVE ON THROUGH MARYLIN and all of US.

Miss that guy with my soul, and I know we all do too.

ALL PHONE CALLS HE GOT , WAS ANSWERED WITH: db here!!!!!!!!!!!