Sunday, November 30, 2008

KOLOHE - Sited and Resting on Rabbit Island

Hi Blog Lady,
Have much to share with you, this is another remarkable day to have experienced! First of all we did white plains with Irma and Kermit who were roped off thanks to the surfers out there. They were just fine and laying around the same general area near Life Guard Station Tower One. Next found 2AW/2AZ alone and resting nicely in a different beach spot just past the spot he was in yesterday, more towards nanakuli. He is almost pau molting at 85 to 90%. Don't know how he manages to avoid all the Kiawe Thorns around the area.

Well the real thrill for us was when we got an exciting call from DB that Kolohe was around again. I couldn't believe it and Robert and I had to go see. Db adviced us, it was not official yet, and he needed further ID. I can't tell you how extatic we were when we arrived to Makai Pier. My heart was pounding, tears were falling like a water fall. Actually, we didn't go to Makai Pier since finding Hoku on Oct. 5, 2008. I was afraid to feel the feelings of great sadness again and boy did it flow. Passing the corner we over heard the fishermen talking about a Dead Seal rang through my ears. And as I walked up the stairs I felt sick. Flashes of him that October day racing through my thoughts. I had dropped a single rose petal from my Roses, to release Hoku so he could be free. And, as I approached DB....and seeing him so happy, smiling on the Lanai with his scope...Priceless. Rob quickly set up our scope and all three of us watched in excitement if indeed that was KOLOHE. I knew it was the minute I saw DB. THis man is brilliant, he has an extradinary eagel eye for iding mammals any where any time.

Around 11:50am, DB goes....."TRANSMITTER!!! TRANSMITTER!!!" I look really carefully and INDEED, we could all see the transmitter clearly. Holy Shit!!!! Oh My GOSH!!!!! It Is KOLOHE FOLKS!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!! HE IS CERTAINLY ALIVE AND WELL!!!!!!! Then KOLOHE shifts his body again....this time we can all see his BLEACH SPOT near his flipper. YES!!! That is 100% KOLOHE!!!! I tell DB..who you gonna call?????? Ya gotta tell somebody this Momentus EVENT!!!! He said...No, they'll see it in the dailys!!! Well, I went to the bathroom at Makai Pier and thought I gotta share this news, but, I want to respect DB's desition on not telling no one yet. So...I, Barbara, felt she had to call somebody and I called DB. He answers and I say...DB!!!!!!! KOLOHE IS ALIVE!!!!!! DB goes, are you callling me from the bathroom? YES!!!! And I can hear you clearly...I had to call somebody. He. He.

Well, we reluctantly had to leave. Wanted to check on a call earlier about a seal at Nimitz. They called out Dana Jones who was in town. She made it out there at Nimitz Beach near the Pavilions. She said she found Rocky. I told her we'd be coming as it was on our way home.

Upon arrival...Dana had found Rocky on shore in a tidal pool and she looked comfortable. Just the people started yelling and screaming, getting closer and closer. Dana tried to be polite and asked all the people to move back as the seal needed rest and quiet. The crowd wouldn't listen to her, nor would they listen to us. So...we called base police and they finally came to put out signs. Officer Steve Auld arrived...and all the people quickly disappeared.

So nice to have power to take care of business. Now Rocky was signed off, folks were gone. Yippppeeeee! We had to go, bid our Seal Police farewell and thanked him for all his help!!!!! Thanks to Officer Steve Auld...you were great!!!!! Bid our Seal Buddie...Dana Jones farewell also. She had done good. It all worked out fine. (Sigh of relief!) So there ya have it folks....we are fortunate to have our missing seal back home at Rabbit Island with DB DUNLAP again.

Life is AWESOME!!! With Hoku we saw death and now we see KOLOHE and LIFE. It is truly amazing! Thanks KOLOHE...our Mokuleia Pup...we all missed you so much. Be safe!!

1 comment:

KarenB said...

Greatest news I have heard in weeks! Thank you Seal God!

And Barbara...I never get tired of reading about your passionate adventures.

Thanks to all of you who commit so much of your time to these animals.

Together, we can really make a difference.