Thursday, July 3, 2008

DB Post Thursday July 3rd

Kerby,Hoku,Kolohe,Buster,R301&M38@ RI & Irma@ Kalaeloa Campgrounds
Naturally, I was anxious to get to MP and see what the new guys were doing. The first animals I saw were R301 and M38 at 3BS, from the Makapuu Overview. It was not until I got the MP that I could see Hoku and Kolohe pretty much where I'd left them yesterday. Hoku was still out on the left end rock flats, and Kolohe was down amongst the water front rocks, fronting Left Greenery (LG).

With the tide beginning to rise, Hoku entered the water at the left end , and I immediately saw that he was interacting with another animal in the water, playing and rolling around. When the play moved to a point fronting Kolohe, I saw that the other animal was Buster. I also noted that Kerby had hauled out 30 ft left of LG. Both Kerby and Kolohe entered the water to join in the action, and all were wrestling and playing until 1126 when individuals began moving off and hauling out . The first to haul out was Kolohe at LG, and then I noticed Hoku hauling out at the point of LBP at the left end. He would later relocate back to the left end rock flats. On a pan I noticed that M38 and R301 were no longer down at 3BS, and at 1151 they arrived at LG to begin working the smaller Buster. Kerby took advantaged of the older guys playing with each other, and hauled out at the left end of the Middle Cliff area (LMC). I lost Buster and the gang in the rougher water and did not see them again today. All of the Weaners adjusted there locations with the rising tide. Hoku was washed off the flats, and relocated to LPB, and was back near the cliff, investigating the cliff face. Kolohe relocated to higher ground on LPB, and Kerby moved to a spot 80 ft right of 3BS. All were at those locations when I departed.

Brenda Becker happened to be on a helicopter doing aerial surveys today, and sent a shot of one of the new guys. Without being able to see Kolohe's right side bleach, I'm not able to make a confirmed ID. My guess however, would be Kolohe.

The Billands called at 1424 to advise that Irma was at Kalaeloa Campgrounds. Aloha, DB

No comments: