Saturday, August 3, 2019

August 3, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Another windy blustery day turned into a hot still afternoon - the calm before the storm ? Our gardens could definitely do with a nice good soak.

It was a cool seal day around here.
My morning started off with an overnighted RG40 "Holokai" in front of the house. There was also a human sleeping in the background, both in a similar positions. When I came back hours later he no longer was here. To many people on the beach ?

At Hidden Beach I found an also overnighted RN58 "Luana", she has been there for several days and today she has finally started her molt. When I saw her on the way in I noticed that where the mating scratches were the fur was kind of ruffled up. She was vocalizing a lot, I kept eyes open looking for another seal but there was none around. Although there was a 2nd trail on the beach.
On my way back I was able to confirm the first molting spots. She's -5% . An unusual start for molting but it's a start.

In the NARS RO40 "Ka'ena" was hauled out on Benny's Flats. I was able to have a good look at the patch where the transmitter was and it looks nice and clear.

At the point RG28 "Lefty" was in the same location we last saw him on Thursday, his molt is now at 50%. Bellie is clean and shinny, back and flippers are already full of spots. I spent nearly 3 hours out there doing outreach. Marilyn hiked in from the Waianae side today and we met at the point. When we were about to leave, up coming tide and waves made him FINALLY roll over so we could take a look at his back. He took the opportunity and swam away.
At the point a young group had hiked out from the Waianae side carrying flags, they were enjoying the outer pools. I talked story with them and as they were leaving I took a photo of them with the seal in the back. All very respectful and polite.

We checked again on "Ka'ena" before we headed out separate ways.

At Hidden Beach I came up on a 2nd seal beside "Luana" - it was RW02 "PVKauai" he is looking fine. I wonder if he was the one to spend the night with her...

Back on this side down at Birth Beach/Mokuleia RK40 "Napua" was hauled out mid beach. I was thrilled to see her. She does this to us, goes MIA for a week or two sometimes more than shows up again. Still NO sign of molt.
As I was documenting her I saw something in the water, little RL20 "Kalua" was checking on his cousin, she had her back to him so never saw him. He rolled in the waves, looked again and again and left towards his new haul out spot. I just came back from a later afternoon check and didn't see any of them.
As I was leaving the beach I saw a seal hauling out @ Camp Erdman Pt, so off I went to check who it was. Another surprise RE74 "Benny" !! As I went down in the late afternoon I saw him turning around and going into the water so I headed to Birth Beach. He did come by, hauled out briefly, turned around entered the water and spend sometime rolling in the waves.   More tomorrow ðŸŒº



No comments: