Wednesday, August 7, 2019

August 7, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

I have to start with the big news.... today on his 100th day, I found little RL20 "Kalua" (after being MIA for 3 days)  out at Ka'ena Point. And to add to the big adventure I actually saw him crossing over to the Waianae side. Dear Billands another one of our kids may show up at your door step. He may join his cousins "Puna" & "Napua", uncle "Ka'ale" and auntie "Leia".
My heart gave a skip when I saw him then another one when he crossed over.
For the past 100 days, Kimo and I start our day with "Heading down to check on the kid" or "Heading down to check on the kid ?". That will not happen tomorrow morning at dawn, I'll just go down to check on who'z there.

My morning started like yesterday with Spotted Eagle Rays and went on all morning seeing them at every stop I made. I have seen them here before but never this many.
They ate definitely mating cause in the calm waters a lot of splashing goes on. I even saw them out at the very point.

RN58 "Luana" didn't come back last night to sleep here. There were "0" fresh trails in her spot. When I got to Hidden Beach I found trails going all the way up the path on the dune and fresh one back towards the water (had the pee trail on it). I'll bet DB's cats - sorry Marilyn, that "Luana" did those trails, also because there were some small pieces of molt along the way.
When I came back in the early afternoon she was hauled out at her spot near the front of the house and is now ~90% molted.

At the point RG28 "Lefty" was showing of his new coat. He's now 100% molted. I first saw
him because there was a white rock in a pool surrounded by dark lava rocks. It was his bellie. Once he turned over you could no longer see him from far away. You really had to know what to look for to see a seal there.

At the point after the kid crossed to the Waianae side, I was still looking out for him and this green HMSeal came bobbing up and down the waves on the out side of Back Beach. It's going as an U/U but it looked to be a small seal, and it's eyes were green and masked as a racoon. Perhaps one of the cousins or "Da Benny"...     More tomorrow ๐ŸŒบ
 

No comments: