Wednesday, December 6, 2017

12/6/2017 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley and Kana'i Lucky 6 Seal Day

What an afternoon... started of with a big surprise: Kana'i wanted to come hike with me !
At Birth Beach we had our 2nd surprise a Pheasant walking on the beach. I've seen them on our side before but never on the beach
We took 20 minutes to get to the parking lot, I thought we'd only make it 'till 10 minutes Beach. At the parking lot to ladies told me they were 6 seals out at the point. Talk about a carrot in front of a nose to get someone going. Kana'i has NEVER hiked out to Ka'ena Pt before he's 4 yrs old.
We started off by the costal line but made it up to the top road in the first 5 minutes. We sang, we counted, we made up stories...made it to Hidden Beach. Kana'i was going strong so we kept going. The idea of seeing the big birds and 6 seals was exciting to him.
As we arrived at the point, we entered the gate, did our prayer at the Launching Rock and went on. Albatrosses everywhere on the ground and in the air.
At the Runway we saw 2 seals playing in the water, on Main Beach R330 "Squinty" & RW02 "PVKauai" were on the water line, on Back Beach the brothers RR70 "Rip" & RO40 "Ka'ena" were hauled out just above the waterline.
Kana'i met a little boy and fast they became buddies while I documented the seals. Shortly the other kid was calling me to show a swimming seal: RN14 "Molokai" had entered the Main Pool. He swam up to "Squinty" & PVKauai" there was a bark and sneeze or two, he kept going galumph all the way up Main Beach, under the big rock and on to the Back Beach. 

Turning to that side I saw a third seal up on the beach... R3CU had hauled out and galumphed up the beach. The 2 brothers never moved.
I'd love to say it was a 8 seal day but I was sure that the 2 swimmers at the Runway were R3CU & RN14 "Molokai" - checking my photos at home proved I was right and it was a 6 seals day.
The next adventure was to hike back home, we did with the help of energy pills I had in my backpack. "Ricolas" did wanders, everytime energy was getting down we would unwrap a "pill" and pop it in his mouth.
We came up the drive way yelling to all to hear us (dogs, chickens, cats,... and his parents): "we are HEROS we MADE IT !!"
Marilyn & Diane we may have a new hiking partner !

 Newest Posse Member made his way to Ka'ena Point. 
Ya done good Kana'i! 
 R3CU
 RW02 PVKauai & R330 Squinty 
 Squinty R330
 RN14 & R3CU
 Hail hail the gangs all here 
 Ka'ena RO40 with a little facial hair left
 RIP & younger brother Ka'ena 
 RIP
 RW02 PVKauai

No comments: