Friday, December 15, 2017

12/15/17 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Trek

Happy Aloha Friday !

Did a quick hike to Ka'ena Pt this morning with a my friend Couise between rain pours.
The waves were much smaller but the sea was agitated. We had a chance to look at all the sea debris that has been washed up in the last couple of days. The trashes at the parking lot were full, sign that hikers have been picking up and bringing them out. That's really cool.
I didn't see all the nets, they may have been sucked back in to the ocean or tossed on other reefs.

At the point we found RO40 "Ka'ena" on Back Beach, I heard a sneeze looked around, on to Main Beach to the sides to the "new" beach and nothing. Finally walking up the right side wall of Back Beach I looked back to take a photo of "Ka'ena" and behind him in the Naupaka was RR70 "Rip". It took a while to ID him but as he started to move around he showed me his scars and later his tags.

Jaime & Lindsey were out with a group of volunteers from "Malama..." on a "gardening" project . They were pros, from far I saw them getting those halekoas out of the way. The best news arrived after I made it back home. The nesting broke the 3 digit number and record 101 nests!!!
There more information on the "Pacific Rim Conservation" page on Facebook.


No comments: