Thursday, February 2, 2017

2/2/2017 DB's Dailies:Mojo,Kainoa,Kawena&S/M@Rabbit Island, Benny@Secrets, Kekoa,RW02&Kerby@Maili Pt, RIP@Makua Cliffs, RK36&Ka'ena@Ka'ena Pt, R5AY@Hauula

When I arrived at Makai Pier at 0800 I found the S/M that arrived a few days ago, once again, 50 ft right of 1BS on Rabbit Island.

 Also at 0800 I found a large animal , partially visible up behind the dune, left of 1BS. It would take 5 hours but the Mojo (RI17) was finally made by the NB on the top, left side of his head.

 At 0844 Kainoa (RN04) hauled out to the left end of the island, and Mojo galumphed down to meet him. Mojo would enter the water shortly thereafter, and haul out near the unknown S/M.

 At 0935 Kawena (RH36) hauled out to the far left end of RI. She was totally separate from any of the others.

 At 0605 Team Billand reported Benny (RE74) at Secrets. Additionally, they found a rarely seen Sunfish at the water line. No word on any outcome.

 At 0951 the Billands reported Kekoa (RK72), RW02 & Kerby (RW08) at Maili Point.

 At 1304 Team Billand found RIP (RR70) at Makua Cliffs.

 Barbara trekked to the End of the World, and reported RK36 & Ka’ena (RO40) at Ka’ena Point. Barbara ran into an orginal posse member, Karen Harris & Kevin. Karen brought Ka’ena Point into my life many years ago. Welcome Home !

 Diane Gabriel sent along a few shots of her stay with R5AY at Hauula today.


 Kawena, Kainoa Mojo and SM
 Kawena
 Mojo and SM
SM
Benny 
 Kekoa and RW02
 Kekoa
 Kerby
 Sunfish
Ka'ena
 Rip
 RK36
 ALOHA KAREN !!!!!!   So good to have you back on the island!
R5AY

1 comment:

b said...

It was the second time in my life I ever saw a sun fish in the wild. In the 60's my dad had caught a sunfish, HUGE one, in our LAY NET...Yep, a LAY NET. My dad was a fantastic fishermen. He kept the sun fish, froze it, to show everyone the GREAT SUN FISH he had caught. I'll never forget it.

Yesterdays Sun Fish washed up on shore, we ran over to try to get it back in the water. It was flapping away and our effort didnt work. He was lovely color, with polka dots. I thought of the whales that strand, dolphins...wondered why it would wash on shore like that as it is a deep sea fish. Poor thing.

I thought of Benny, is he ok? Whats out there to kill this poor fish...some kind of pollution? I wish we could know the WHY???

Meeting Karen and Kevin was PRICELESS...who would think we would meet out at Kaena Pt. Hadnt seen both since 2009 when we were at the Marine Mammal Center for training. Keven and Karen took us out to Pt Reyes again to see if we could see the Elephant Seals we released the day before. And yes, we found two of the seals going up the road. We called the marine mammal center and they were sending someone out to check. I was grateful to meet Kevin and Karen once again..it brought back that wonderful day in May of 2009.

Life can be so special, as one of the albatross had a chick and I saw it...it was my goal to meet one, OH SO CUTE. Mom lifted her okole for a brief moment and I got the shot...I so wanted.

At Kaena Pt, there are so many different birds to observe, some I never met. Lots of tiny finches darting along from bush to bush, from tree to tree. Hard to get a good shot of them, so fast.

I saw another float, but it was too filled with water...it had lots of barnicles on it. COOL.

I only saw TWO SEALS at Kaena Pt...apparently there were others but...folks didnt let them LAND. Sad ya. I feel for Monk Seals..they have to tolerate idiot humans who get up in their faces all the time. Some times I wish a monk seal would give them a ROUND HOUSE SLAP with their flippers. He He. All they want to do is find a small rock or a little sand to SLEEP.

By the way, anyone seen Miss L42???? Havent seen her in along time, hope she is happy and fat some where SAFE. Ta Ta!