Sunday, April 19, 2015

4/19/2015 DB's Dailies: Buster & UU@BH, Sadie&PO2@RI, RK13&PK1@Kauai,

As I peered down the length of Sandy Beach, from the Blowhole Lookout at 0648, I chanced to see a guy and his 2 unleashed large breed dogs, running well ahead of him, headed toward the BH end of Sandy Beach at the tide pools. The dogs postured at something out of my line of sight in the first of the little coves at that location, and a few seconds later what would prove to be Buster (RV08) hurriedly galumphed to the water. I think the dogs were as scared as Buster was. There was never any contact, and the guy did get his dogs to move back, but the damage was already done. I followed Buster with my binos as he headed toward Blowhole, arriving at 0657 where he began a series of 4-6 minute dives. He was still foraging when I departed at 0830, but was not there (or anywhere else), on Gayle or Melanie’s afternoon checks.

When I arrived at Makai Pier at 0846 I found Sadie (RB12)&PO2 just beginning their march to the sea, moving to the water line on the left end of the beach on Rabbit Island, They would remain there all day, moving up with the rising tide. On D#4 I can see a weight gain, and an increase in strength for the pup, as well as a showing of independence in moving back toward the water when Mom isn’t lookin’. A simple bark from Mom nips that in the bud.

 Posse member Jen Christian reported a foraging seal off shore of Sunset Beach. She said she would call if it hauled out. I never heard anything more. No clue who it might have been , but I gotta’ cat on Right Spot.

 Dana called at 1645 advising that Benny (RE74) had arrived at Paradise Cove ate 1430, and had just departed.

 Gayle called at 1728 with the report of a foraging U/U at Blowhole. I arrived ate 1738 but crankin’ wind, and no light made an ID impossible.

 Gary Langley sent shots of RK13 &PK1. This birth happened on the same day that Sadie pupped (4-15-15). Thank you Gary!!

Sadie and PO2 
 Kauai's first pup of the season PK1 with a bleached flipper soooo sweet. This little one was born the same day as Sadie's pup so it will be sweet to see them plumping up .
 u/u at blow hole 


No comments: