Friday, August 14, 2020

08/14/2020 (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Update from Thursday & Friday

 THURSDAY:

My first seal was entering the water as I checked the front beach, after downloading the photos this evening I was able to ID RW02 PVKauai.

My next sighting was from down in front looking all the way to CE. As I got there, I found an overnighted RK36 Kauai Kolohe.
This evening at sunset when I looked down that way he was still there. Molting behavior

At Birth Beach/ Tables RL98 Lina was just hauling out. On this evening's check she was still there.
Fresh trails to the water from where RH32 Ka'ale was hauled out yesterday.
As we headed to the point, we found RW02 PVKauai at Hidden Beach. He was still there on our way back.

At the point we got to see the last Albatross chick trying his wings out and doing some jumps into the wind. 
The Shearwater chicks are precious little grey cotton balls. It looks like we'll have a record year. 
More tomorrow 🌺
FRIDAY:
All my HMSeal sighting were in the NARS this morning
First RK36 Kauai Kolohe entered Ka'ena's Pool like a torpedo. Swam to the back and left. I walked along the cliff following him. He entered the Main Pool then I heard a bark. RO40 Ka'ena was in the pool and they had some words. Ka'ena left and Kauai Kolohe played the hippo. The tide was very high and the waves were rolling in covering the pool from side to side. New landscaping in the make. I wonder what I'll see tomorrow.
As I was leaving, I saw a big seal swimming on the flats towards Nihoa's Pool (remember the tide was really high) I followed it back till it entered Ka'ena's Pool. It was RW02 PVKauai.
On this side many trails on the beach but no seals. I'll go check at sunset.
More tomorrow 🌺

No comments: