Monday, January 1, 2018

1/1/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

Hau'Oli Makahiki Hou!
Started my new year walking down the beach to head out from there to the point, straight away I saw the familiar shape and found RN58 "Luana" in her favorite little pool.
She doesn't know it but looks like she has outgrown it a little. She's looking round and healthy. Very special to start the year with her, she has a special meaning for us.
There's a pic of her with her tummy falling among 2 rocks, it reminded me of a pic of RW08 "Kerby" taken out at the point in 2013. Marilyn & I saw him doing this then the following week "I" did a make up version. For fun I'm sharing the pics with you.
Walking in I saw a little head swimming but soon lost him. Several visitors mention seeing him, as well as a group of hikers from the Cierra Club. A while later I saw Jay and she said she saw RG40 "Holokai" haul out at Big Cove that IDed the seal. On my hike out I check the location and he was still there. It's a little sand beach on the North side of the cove, our dear "Nihoa" used to haul out there. Although we always look I haven't seen a seal there in a very longtime.
I also checked on RN58 "Luana" and she was still in the same - very uncomfortable looking, spot.
There weren't many cars out today compared to the crazy week we had, but hundreds of hikers, big groups, many families doing their New Year day hike.

Luana RN58
 Kerby & Lesley from 2013 in the same position as Luana 

 Holokai

No comments: