Thursday, September 5, 2019

September 5, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update (yea!)

Yesterday's report
Away for a week and come back to a seal festival
Yesterday my day strted with RN58 Luana @ Lyman's where she spent the day.
A VERY green RH32 "Ka'ale" was at BB Tables and also spent the day.
There was a fresh small trail with light molt - my gut said RK40 "Napua" must have finally started her molt.

This morning
RH32 "Ka'ale" and a 50% molted RK40 "Napua" were sleeping peacefully down the beach.
I was about to leave after documenting them when I saw a seal swimming towards them. RW02 "PVKauai" hauled out right on Napua's face.
There was a lot of interaction between the boys and the little one just galumphed away. Ka'ale moved accross the beach, PVKauai followed him as well as Napua. PVKauai finally gave up and swam away. Ka'ale joined Napua and I left.
I found RO40 "Ka'ena" in his pool. When we left he was in the exact same spot.
Reading hikers body language I could tell from far that there was a seal in the Main Pool. Team T & D arrived, after doing a lot of outreach we waited for the seal to move to confirm RR70 "RIP" ID. It took us a while but he never showed his tags so we had to double check after downloading photos. Scar above his eye, pit scar on back with other line scars as well as his white wrinkled muzzle confirmed his ID

I went down at sunset and saw the trio Napua, Ka'ale & PVKauai trying to settle down for the night.  More tomorrow๐ŸŒบ


 Every shade of green 

No comments: