Monday, September 16, 2019

September 16, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update


Yesterday afternoon before our downpour I went down to check on some campers and decided to go look for RH32 "Ka'ale".
I found him on the rocks at BB Tables. Further down on the sand was RK40 "Napua"  (in blue)

This morning before I went out to check the gate area of the park I looked up on RH32 "Ka'ale" he was sleeping peacefully on the sand.
Next find was RK40 "Napua" @ 10 Mnts Beach. She looked so pretty (and small) on the white sand.
At the point I saw a seal from far away on the Runway: it was RO40 "Ka'ena" then came the high light of the day. 
RE74 "Benny" was in Ka'ena's Pool with another seal, bigger then him. As I was documenting it I noticed a NB on the tips of it's LFF. I knew it wasn't "Lefty" (RG28) because of it's size. I looked at the other 3 flippers in the hope to see "Kea" but there was none so he was ruled out.
Sun was burning down my neck while I waited for it to move. "Ka'ena" showed up at the pool entrance, with 2 short and loud words "Benny" made him turn away and leave. The other seal moved a little and showed me it's RFs NO tags. Guessing game was over, it was definitely a new kid on the rock.
After a long wait the seal turned over, of course Murphy put it's finger in the game, cause the seal showed me it's back !! I moved to the opposite side of the pool and was pleased to see the UU is a FEMALE so now a U/F. Full documentation of scars, dings and dangs was done and a report is on it's way to NOAA. 
That makes 3 new seals in 48 hrs !!
RL70 (F) and the U/J/M were no where to be seen and must be in RL20 "Kalua's" company cause he was also MIA today.  More tomorrow πŸŒΊ

No comments: