Thursday, September 19, 2019

September 18, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Before I start my daily report I'll share with you the ID of one of the "New Kids on the Rock". The U/F that I reported with RE74 "Benny" has been IDed by Tracy: She's from Nihoa and this is her first sighting in the MHI.  Her ID is R947.  

I had an early start this morning. Found RH32 "Ka'ale" tucked in among rocks down the beach.
On my way to the point checking all the different seal spots I nearly missed RR70 "RIP" because he was in the shade of a rock blending in perfectly.
In the NARS RO40 "Ka'ena" was hauled out at the entrance of his pool.
The point was very quiet so I decided to do the Waianae side, alas no seals were around. I'll be honest I was on a mission to find one of the three new comers.
Hours later heading back "Ka'ena" was still in his pool. RW02 "PVKauai" had hauled out on some flats. I was curious to see him since last time I did a couple of days ago I had seen the next morning trails of molt along the waterline. But he still HASN'T start molting. 
What I saw must have been leftovers from "Napua" and "Ka'ale".

"RIP" and "Ka'ale were also in their respective spots.

It was a beautiful day despite the total lack of wind, fauna and flora didn't let me down. When I got to the parking lot and visitors were getting ready to hike out I insisted they have a LOT of water and sunscreen. Of the 5 groups, 3 went back to cars to get hats, more water and take sunscreen and 1 decided to come back in the morning when it's cooler. 
More tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: