Thursday, July 4, 2019

July 4, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Got ready to go out at dawn, walking down the driveway I saw 2 seals down at Camp Erdman point. To my surprise the 2 sisters RL42 "Leia" RN58 "Luana" were side by side. They left during the morning. In the afternoon I got word that RL42 "Leia" was hauled out on the West side. She sure didn't enjoy the crowds showing up for the 4th of July camps.

RL20 "Kalua" D58 was playing and foraging in the tide pools his mom Luana used to play in. I sat down and watched him for an hour.

RK88 "Puna" hauled on the beach at breakfast time. This afternoon we saw him on the beach in the exactly same spot. Signs left by Diane this morning, made a good perimeter beach goers totally respected the area.

Out at the point I met with Team T&D and we hiked in together. We were told about seals in the outer pool. R405 (M) was hauled out on the outer reefs well out of view. Some visitors showed us some videos and photos of the 2 other seals that had been around one was aUU and the other was RO40 "Ka'ena" easily IDed by his transmitter.

Hopefully seals and house pets aren't to disturbed by all the fireworks going off out there
More tomorrow ๐ŸŒบ


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pictures and reports like these are some of the many reasons I read this blog. The beauty does my heart good. Thank you.
Bobbi