Wednesday, July 3, 2019

July 3, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

My first find this morning was   D57 playing in his mothers childhood favorite tide pool.
I headed towards the NARS doing road assessment and a lot of outreach. It took me 2 hours to get to the NARS
I spotted RO40 "Ka'ena" hauled out at the end of the Runway.

Visitors kept telling me there was a big seal and a small one tugged in a corner. When I made it to the point a family told me a small seal had left and it had a small scar on it's back. The kids were telling me they saw walruses so I think they may have seen a regular size seal.

I looked around and hit a jackpot at first I thought it was R353 but this seal has a 10 bleach on it's left side mid body. 2 big CC scars mid back, a CC scar in the front of it's LFF, a cluster of small scars on his left neck. On his right side he has a big CC scar on the front of his RFF towards it's neck. The top rest of it's body was clean, He was hauled out on his bellie and then entered the water. 
I never saw his sex but checking in with NOPAA I found out it was a he and bleached on Ni'ihau  May survey. For a couple of hours his ID was Temp 10. While writing it, it looked like "Templo" - so that will be his chosen nickname for me. His ID is now confirmed as R405
On my way back I checked on RL20 "Kalua" he was in shallow water and hauled out on rocks exactly where I saw him yesterday.

Then coming to the house I saw a little seal hauled out right in front. It's RK40 "Napua"
More tomorrow 🌺



No comments: