Thursday, July 18, 2019

July 18, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Blond with fried brains is what's left of me right now.
I had a very early start at work today - just before I was about to start I decided to check on RL20 "Kalua" , it took me for ever to find him and finally did in the coves near the Parking Lot. That's a first, he is definitely expanding his horizon.

At Hidden Beach RW02 "PVKauai" was freshly hauled out near the waterline  - he was still there on my way out, this time I got to see his shaved belly for the surgery he didn't have to have for the removal of hook, line, swivel and weight.
In the NARS as I was doing outreach with a group of visitors from Florida I spotted a seal coming in from far. It was RR70 "RIP" he made it to what used to be the entrance of the Main Pool, sank down like a submarine and stayed there

I checked again on the kid RL20 "Kalua"  and he was still foraging around.

At Birth Beach/Mokuleia RH32 "Ka'ale" was hauled out mid beach. As I was IDing from the top of the cliff, him he jumped up and vocalized. It was RO40 "Ka'ena" swimming in. They had hard words and lots of watere splashing. "Ka'ena" rolled over gave up and left towards KPt side. Out of curiosity I decided to go back to see if he would stop by to interact with RL20 "Kalua". It was the beginning of long hours wait...
As I was looking at him a couple came by I invited them to sit beside me and I started doing outreach and Q&A. 
Something caught my eye, it was a little stick that was moving on the corner of his mouth a couple of inches away. I had seen him playing with a sea cucumber 1/2 hour earlier so my first tough was "guck". but as we kept looking I moved a little because of the sun light and reflex and saw the always dreaded shine. The kid had fishing line wrapped around his muzzle. Calls were put in documentation done. Luckily he left his thigh little cove and headed to Birth Beach where he hauled out far from grumpy RH32 "Ka'ale".... fast forward …. teams arrived, line was removed and the kid went for a swim.

I'm relieved and burnt to the bone, since I was about to call it a day when I saw the 2 boys play at BB. I'm just extremely thankful that I was curious to see Ka'ena interact with the kid so I went back.

In the Albatross world - there's still 2 hands full of chicks getting ready to fledge. They are so cute and very
entertaining. Found some scat near an old nest. It's really good to know they spit out the contents of heir stomach before fledging but it terrible to see what they have been fed.
I was bummed to leave the NARS with a big yellow tarp stuck on a rock island. Can't go out alone and water was rough. Hopefully I'll get to see it washed ashore and retrieve it in the next few days.  More tomorrow 🌺

LMAO - perfect butt-head photo (sorry couldn't resist)

No comments: