Sunday, December 9, 2018

12/09/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: Lesley's Ka'ena Update Friday 12/7/2018

On Friday early in morning I did a 2 hour monitoring & outreach hike between Camp Erdman (aka CE) and past Birth Beach.

Right in front of our main beach access R330 "Squinty" was hauled out - I checked his trails coming down from the Naupaka line he must have over knighted.

Further towards our CE access there was another wallow and fresh trails with smelly stinky gifts towards the water = another seal overnighted.

I looked towards CE Pt and saw a seal near the fishing area. To my surprise I IDed RN30 (M) - one of Pohaku's kids from Kauai. There was a family sitting down with 2 small kids at a perfect distance. I sat with them for a while an we had a great outreach session joined later by more visitors.
All were in heaven thanking for the opportunity to learn about out HMS

In the afternoon they were still there but on my sunset check both had left.


No comments: